No. 7/7/2008-CS.I (A)
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
Department of Personnel & Training
2 Floor, Lok Nayak Bhavan,
Khan Market, New Delhi - 110003.
Dated the 21st December, 2009.
Subject: Grant of the pay structure of grade pay of Rs. 4600 in the pay band PB-2 to Assistants of Central Secretariat Service.
A large number of references were received from the service Associations and individual officials of the Central Secretariat Service for
upgradation of the grade pay of Assistants in the Central Secretariat. The matter after examination in the Department of Personnel and Training was referred to the Department of Expenditure for their consideration.
2. The undersigned is directed to forward herewith a copy of Department / of Expenditure O.M. No.1/1/2008-IC dated 16.11.2009 extending the pay / structure of grade pay of Rs.4600 in the pay band PB-2 to Assistants belonging to Central Secretariat Service with effect from 1.1.2006 for information and compliance of all the Cadre Units of CSS.
(K. Suresh Kumar)
Under Secretary to the Govt. of India
F.No.1/1/2008-IC / Government of India / Ministry of Finance / Department of Expenditure / Implementation Cell
New Delhi, dated the 16th November, 2009.
Subject : Grant of the pay structure of grade pay of Rs.4600 in the pay band PB-2 to Assistants and Personal Assistants of Central Secretariat Service, Armed Forces Headquarter Service, Indian Foreign Service “B” and Railway Board Secretariat Service and their counter part Stenographer Services.
Consequent Upon the Notification of CCS (RP) Rules, 2008,Department of Expenditure received a large number of references from administrative ministries/departments proposing upgradation of the posts which were in the pre-revised scale of Rs.6500-10500 as on 1.1.2006 by
granting them grade pay of Rs.400 in the pay band PB.-2. After considering the matter, vide O.M. of even number dated 13th November, 2009, the
Government has approved grant of the pay structure of grade pay of Rs.4600 pay band PB-2 to posts that existed in the pre-revised scale of Rs.6500-10500 as on 1.1.2006 and which were granted the normal replacement pay structure of grade pay of Rs.4200 in the pay band PB-2. Separately, the Government also received references from various sections regarding upgradation of the grade pay of Assistants in the Central Secretariat. After considering the matter, it has been decided to extend the pay structure of in the pay band PB-2 to Assistants belonging to Central
Secretariat Service, Armed Forces Headquarter Service, Indian Foreign Service “B” and Railway Board Secretariat Service and Personal Assistants (PAs) in their counterpart Stenographer Services w.e.f. 1.1.2006.
2. Consequent upon the above upgradation, the pay of the above category of Government servants will be fixed again in accordance with
illustration 4A annexed to CCS (RP) Rules, 2008. As a result of refixation of pay, in case a Government servant desires to revise his earlier option for coming over to the revised pay structure, he may be permitted to do so without making any reference to this Department.
3. On account of pay fixation in the revised pay structure of grade pay of Rs.4600 in the pay band PB-2, arrears of pay will be recalculated and
difference of arrears in respect of th entire amount will be paid immediately. The manner of drawl of arrears has already been indicated in this Department’s O.M. of even number dated 30.8.2008.
4. While considering the case of granting upgraded grade pay of Rs.4600 to Assistants and PAs in the Central Secretariat, it is noted that Sixth Pay
Commission had recommended parity in terms of hierarchical Structure of Office Staff in Field and Secretariat offices upto the level of Assistants and this recommendation had been accepted by the Government. However, one of the reasons due to which Assistants of Central Secretariat are being granted grade pay of Rs.4600 is the fact that is an element of direct recruitment to the an All-India Competitive Examination. With the
issue o this Department's O.M. of even number dated 13th November, 2009,the grade pay of Rs.4600 has already been introduced in the case of Office Staff in Field Offices. As far as Central Secretariat is concerned, in order to Continue to maintain parity between Field and Secretariat offices, introduction of a level in the hierarchy of Central Secretariat having grade pay of Rs.4200 in the pay band PB-2 between the grades of Upper Division Clerks and Assistants is necessary.
5. The manner in which the new grade in the hierarchy of Central Secretariat should be introduced may be decided by DOPT in consultation with Department of Expenditure. Introduction of this new grade in the hierarchy will be applicable in the case of all the four Headquarter Services viz. Central Secretariat Service, Armed Forces Headquarter Service, Indian Foreign Service “B” and Railway Board Secretariat Service and their counterpart Stenographer Services. The decision to introduce the new grade in the hierarchy of Central Secretariat Service will be implemented from a prospective date.
Source Document : www.persmin.nic.in