Government of India
Department of Personnel Public Grievances and Pensions
Department of Pension and Pensioners Welfare
3rd Floor, Lok Nayak Bhawan,
Khan Market, New Delhi - 110 003
Dated 16th March, 2009
OFFICE MEMORANDUMSubject: Implementation of the Government’s decision on the recommendation of the Sixth CPC- Revision of provisions regulating special benefits in the cases of Death and Disability in service – payment of ex-gratia lumpsum compensation to families of central Govt. employees – modification regarding -
1. The undersigned is directed to say that in implementation of the decisions on the recommendation contained in Para 5.1.45 of the Report of the Sixth Central Pay Commission, the rates of ex gratia in cases of death occurring due to accidents in the course of performance of duty, death attributable to acts of violence by terrorists, anti-social elements etc., death occurring due to enemy action in international war or border skirmishes or action against militants, terrorists, extremists etc. or death on account of natural disasters, extreme weather conditions while on duty in the specified high altitude, inaccessible border posts, etc., have been revised vide this Department’s
O.M. No.38/37/08-P&PW (A) dated 2nd September, 2008.
2. In certain cases, relief is also provided to families of deceased Government servants from sundry Government sources, such as the Prime Minister’s Relief Fund, Chief Minister’s Relief Fund, etc. In such cases, it should be ensured that the aggregate of the relief/ex gratia compensation paid from different sources does not exceed Rs. 20 lakhs in each individual case. Para 12 of Annexe to this Department’s OM 45/55/97-P&PW(C) dated 11th September, 1998 will stand modified to this extent.
3. All other terms and conditions in the O.M. dated 11th September, 1998 shall remain unchanged.
4. This issues with the concurrence of the Ministry of Finance, Department of Expenditure U.O. No.4.2/39/2009-IC dated 11.2.2009.
5. In so far as persons serving in the Indian Audit & Accounts Department, these orders issue after consultation with the Comptroller & Auditor General of India.