Enter Keyword and Search

Friday, September 23, 2011

Family Planning Allowance to Central Government employees – FAQ

with 24 comments
Family Planning Allowance to Central Government employees – FAQ
Family Planning Allowance to Central Government employees :- Family Planning Allowance, it is one of the severe steps taken by the Central Government to check growing population. At that time incentives were announced to Government employees, those having three children. In the following days it was reduced to two children.
The sterilisation operation which is performed for this is known as tubectomy(for women) and vasectomy(for men). This is a permanent method of family planning, which means once you opt this and undergo this procedure the reversal of the condition is not possible.
Before 5th CPC the Family Planning Allowance was noted as Personal Pay and 6th CPC has recommended that the rates of Family Planning allowances has been doubled. According to the provisions contained in Finance Ministry’s O.M.No. 7(39)/E dated 4th December 1979, O.M.No.6(39)/98-IC.II dated 6th July 1999 and O.M.No.F.No.7(20)/2008-E.III(A) dated 24th September 2008, Central Government employees who undergone sterilisation were entitled to a Special Increment. One would get incentive according to the pay scale-grade, not to be absorbed in future increases in pay. The rate of increment was equal to the amount of the next increment due at the time of grant of the incentive and it remain fixed during the entire service.
We are here try to several informations through simple questions and answers…If there is any differences of opinion please write to us.
Is there any age limit..?
Yes, Employees must be within the reproductive age group. If male employee should not be over 50 years and his wife should be between 20 to 45 yrs, Female employee should not be over 45 years and her husband must not be over 50 yrs.
Upto how many children is permissible for this allowance..?
The employees should have not more than two surviving children (upto three children prior to 21.07.1999). If twins are born after first surviving child and the number of surviving children crosses the ceiling of two children in second /subsequent delivery (ies) shall also be admissible.
Submission of hospital certificate made compulsory or not..?
Family Planning allowance would be granted only on production of sterilisation certificate issued by an authorised competent authority of Government hospital or Government aided hospital.
If the operation was prior to employment is eligible..?
The allowance is not admissible if the operation was prior to joining the Central Government services.
How do know the increment amount..?
The rate of increment (prescribed in the O.M.) applicable to the post held by you at the time of sterilisation.
If spouses died after operation..?
If the employee is drawing allowance and if his spouse dies, allowance cannot be stopped.
Is there any special leave for Family Planning..?
Male Employee :-
(i)  Maximum of 6 working days for vasectomy operation and for second time similar operation another 6 working days.
(ii)  Maximum of 21 working days for recanalization operation.
(iii)  Maximum of 7 working days to follow the date of operation, if his wife undergoes tubectomy, laproscopy or salpingetomy operation
Female Employee  :-
(i)  Maximum of 14 working days if she undergoes tubectomy/laproscopy and another 14 days for second occasion.
(ii)  Maximum of 14 working days for salpingectomy operation after Medical Termination of Pregnancy.
(iii)  One day’s Special CL on the day of IUCD/IUD insertion/re-insertion.
(iv)  Maximum of 21 working days for recanalization operation. Special CL for one day for her husband’s vasectomy operation.
The DA crossed 50%, the allowance also enhanced by 25% or not..?
No. The allowance not to be absorbed in future increase in pay.
Any time limit for this claim..?
No. However, claims submitted after 6 months of operation would be treated as delayed claim.  For such cases, employee is required to submit the reasons for delayed claim.
The new rate of this allowance with effect from 1st January 2008 as indicated in the table below…
Pre-revised Pay Scale
Grade Pay
Rate of Allowance
Upto 4000-100-6000 Upto 2400
4500-125-7000 2800
Upto 6500-200-10500 Upto 4200
7450-225-11500 4600
7450-250-12000 4800
Upto 9000-275-9550 Upto 5400
Upto 10650-325-15850 Upto 6600
Upto 12000-375-18000 Upto 7600
Upto 15100-400-18300 Upto 8700
Upto 16400-450-20900 Upto 8900
Upto 18400-500-22400 Upto 10000

Source: www.cgstaffnews.com

Updated news...
Family Planning Allowance admissible continues in re-employment also...?
Once an employee demits office / retires from / ceases to be in the Government Service, the incentive for adoption of small family norms also comes to an end. In case of re-employment which is in the nature of fresh appointment, the incentive admissible in the past service before re-employment person, the incentive will not be admissible...

Related Posts Based on Your Search


Pokar Ram said...

1 Doubling of the allowance and future abosorption in pay are two different things.The allowance need to be doubled as there is no bar on increase of the allowance in future. The only bar that has been put is not to merge it in future pay revisions.

Anonymous said...

Whether hysterocomy comes under purview of sterlisation because it mentioned tubectomy(for women) whereas in hysterocomy, reproductive organ i.e. utereous is removed therefore the same is more permanent method that tuberctomy.

Anonymous said...

If husband and wife both CG employee both are elegible for FPA?
If it is done during delivery in private nurshing home so how can one get the sterilisation cerificate?

Anonymous said...

The aim of incentive for small family scheme is to attract the govt servants to take part in the population controll programme by the government.In this regard the contribution from all the govrnment servants are equal.Why there are more than 10 diffrent amount of incentives. The amount of incentives should be same for all government servants.
Murali kannur.

imran said...

i am a central govt employee if my wife (not a govt employee) gets a family planning operation done can i claim family planning allowance

prashant said...

prashant said....
First the amount of incentive should be the same for all government employees.And why amount of FPA is still be compared with 5th cpc
pay-scales after 6th cpc is implemented.Example: my grade pay is 4600.00 in PB2 & iam getting FPA of Rs.400.00 against Old scale of Rs.5500-15-9000.

karan singh said...

I was in Indian Navy when my wife went for the family planning operation. That time i was given this allowance by Indian Navy but after my retirement from the service ,I was re-employed by MCD in 2003. When I ask for the incentive/Allowance from MCD, than They told me in writing that you can't be given this allowance because when you joined this MCD ,you have undergone for this operation. Secondly once your family allowance gets break in service this allowance will be discontinue. Now question arises that Military personnel should be treated separately as they gets break in their service. I have submitted a reprenatsion for that in MOD/Def .Min. but no reply received till to date kindly advise me in this direction thank and waiting for your reply.9250302123

Anonymous said...

Sir, I am a Central Government Employee. Before implementation of sixth pay commission I have been given family planning allowance @ Rs 150/-. Therefore, after implementation of sixth pay commision and consequent of revision of family planning allowance my FPA should be Rs 400/- but my employer is granting me FPA @ Rs 300/-PM which seems to be wrong. Kindly clarify how much FPA entitled to me at present. An early reply is highly solicited.

sunil kumar said...

Sir, I am a Central Government Employee. I have a female child only who is the major one. We were not interested in for other child. I am of the age of 48 year and my wife is 45 plus. We use to adopt natural family planning methods and not gone for sterilization operation as yet. Kindly enlight me as to whether there are any benefits available for such types of cases, either for Family Planning or otherwise.

Anonymous said...

Sir, I am a Central Government Employee. I have a female child only who is the major one. We were not interested in for other child. I am of the age of 48 year and my wife is 45 plus. We use to adopt natural family planning methods and not gone for sterilization operation as yet. Kindly enlight me as to whether there are any benefits available for such types of cases, either for Family Planning or otherwise.

PANKAJ said...

sir,I am an ex-servicemen and I was getting family planning allowance but after discharge from service they have seized.If I join to central government will I get family planning allowance.my age is 40 years and I have only two children.

Anonymous said...

We both husband and wife are centeral.gov.employees.And my husband retired in 2008. He was drawing the family planning allowances as he was in higher grade.Still I am having service for around nine years.Is it possible for me to claim the family
planning allowances.Please reply me at the earliest.

Anonymous said...

I am working in DGQA(under min. of defence)at CQAV,Ahmednagar.I I have a three son and there date of birth are 1/5/1991,28/02/1996,&16/04/1998.I have submitted my wife sterilisation certificate during 17/04/1998.(my self & my wife are within reproduction age during opration)initially my office given me family planning allowance after two year based on L.A.O'instruction office stoped the allowance & recover all given amount saying that,you have a three child after Vth pay commision.
Now I have seen policy on cgstaff news & swammi's news on website,that employees having three children prior to 21/07.1999.
kindly let me know I am eligibale for family planing allowance,if so I want DOPT order/OM no.& theredetails/copy.OR address of the office where I write a letter,so that I can obtaind copy.


Anonymous said...

We employees offer our comments and also sometime requests for various suggestions/guidance/clarifications, through this comment column provided here, as may be seen from the various comments available here. But it seems that such requests resting as it are for long without any attention thereon. We request you to kindly, in response, like either to comment thereon or suggest to go for proper place to get appropriate answers in this regard. If it is not possible or proper, kindly place a remark boldly that this is not a right place to make any such requests here so that we may be sure enough not go for the same and can save ourselves from spending our time in vain. Hoping an urgent response, whatever it may be, and place thanks for the same in advance.

virender said...

Sir, my services completed for 3 years i am search order for complete 3 years and next permotion udc period plz give me detials and reply with me

gmail said...

Sir, I am exserviceman and retired after 20 yrs of service as a noble cause of nation to keep the service profile youth. Every year appx 50000 defence personnel retires out of which 35000 plus falls in lower age category i.e 35-45 yrs. Due to active participation of defence wives association in encouraging their sahelis to opt better life style and education about small family norms and its benefits in life to come.sterlisation takes place and allowances admissible and avail for a few years by the beneficiaries and leaves the services in lower age group, pensioner is not entitled for such allowances. Is this not discouraging new for defence personnel. PL consider it to civilian counter parts age of retirement i.e 60 yrs or life long. Suffering rest life long.

p.v. gangadharan said...

My grade pay Rs.4200/- as on 1/01/2006 and subsequently my grade pay was increased to Rs.4600/- as per govt order from 1/01/2006. I received family planing allowance of Rs.400/- corresponding to the grade pay Rs.4200/-. Wheather iam elegebale for the grade pay of RS.4600/- ie Rs.450/-. Please convey the reply to my Email address.
Mob. 9545061779
pin.403 401

Anonymous said...

I am a central govt. employee and my wife is housewife. Recently she had undergone sterilization. Whether i can claim for family planning incentive. Please clarify

Anonymous said...

If both spouse her husband vasectomy operation so his wife getting the allowance admisible or not

monika goel said...

If the sterlization had done in 2005 then a mcd employee gets FPA in 2013 or not.

Dilip Ramteke said...

I am assistant professor in private but government aided college in the pay scale 15000-36900 AGP 7000. i have two girl children and now my wife have done sterlization operation. plz reply me, whether i can get increment or not. of not then what are other allowances and benefits for me? specify.

Mohd Ghufran said...

QUESTION: If the operation was prior to employment is eligible..?
ANSWER: The allowance is not admissible if the operation was prior to joining the Central Government services.

Sir please provide an official link for of such rule. I need it because I have such a case and I'll have to mention the rule in noting.


No, the hysterectomy case is not comes under the purview of STERILIZATION because sterilization took place for to stop the further future productivity by accepting the permanent method of STERILIZATION. Where in case of hysterectomy there is a failure of the reproductive organs due to various reasons. And in that case for to save the life of a lady hysterectomy operation conducted. So in the case of hysterectomy there was no intention of adopting small family norms.

Mageshwaran R said...

As per Application for Sterilization operation “UNDERTAKING TO BE GIVEN BY ALL GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES” that my wife is not pregnant on this day (i.e. at the time of tubectomy operations).

Request to Clarify why such undertaking is required and what implication it as on Spl Leave and cash Incentives. Plz advise

Disclaimer:As and when orders amending the rules are published by the Government, the amendment orders will be published in our blog immediately. Readers are requested to refer to the source link is given at the end of the post. All efforts have been made to ensure accuracy of the content on this blog, the same should not be construed as a statement of law or used for any legal purposes. 90paisa accepts no responsibility in relation to the accuracy, completeness, usefulness or otherwise, of the contents. Users are advised to verify/check any information with the relevant department(s) and/or other source(s), and to obtain any appropriate professional advice before acting on the information provided in the blog. Links to other websites that have been included on this blog are provided for public convenience only. 90paisa is not responsible for the contents or reliability of linked websites and does not necessarily endorse the view expressed within them. We cannot guarantee the availability of such linked pages at all times.

Recent Posts