Highlights of the Railway Budget for 2011-12
* No hike in passenger fare and freight rates.
* Earnings for 2010-11 set to exceed Rs.1 lakh crore.
* A separate sports cadre to be created.
* Highest ever Plan outlay of Rs. 57, 630 crore proposed for Railways.
* Rs.10,000 crore to be raised through railway bonds.
* Scholarship for Girl child of Group-D railway employees increased to Rs.1200 per month.
* Recruitment for 1.75 lakh vacancies of Group ‘C’ and ‘D’ including to fill up backlog of SC/ST initiated, 16,000 ex-servicemen to be inducted by March 2011.
* Medical facilities extended to dependent parents of the Railway employees.
* Decided to set-up rail-based industries.
* Passing through a difficult phase; 97 percent increase in expenditure in 2010-11 due to implementation of Sixth Pay Commission report.
* Loss of Rs.3,500 crore in 2010-11.
* Ten-year backlog of 1.75 lakh jobs being addressed; 16,000 ex-servicemen to be given jobs in railways.
* Safety first priority; accident rate has come down.
* Anti-collision device, successful in North West Frontier Railway, to be extended to three more zonal railways.
* Railways always been a soft target but law and order a state subject. If railways are blocked in one region, this has a snowballing effect in other parts of the country.
* Will add 180 km of rail lines in 2011-12.
* All-India security helpline set up.* New Durantos to be run on Allahabad-Mumbai, Pune-Ahmedabad, Sealdah-Puri, Secunderabad-Visakhapatnam, Madurai-Chennai routes, among others.
* Rail linkage to Gujarat from Delhi-Mumbai freight corridor.
* Integrated suburban network to be set up in Mumbai, Chennai, Ahmedabad and other cities; suburban system of Hyderabad to be strengthened.
* Mumbai suburban system's EMU coaches to be increased from nine to 12.
* Pradhan Mantri Rail Vikas Yojna to be launched.
* Industrial park to be set up in Nandigram, West Bengal.
* Railways to set up factory in Jammu and Kashmir.
* To set up Metro coach factory at Singur, West Bengal.
* First coach from Rae Bareli factory to roll out in next three months.
* Work on wagon factory in Orissa to begin after land is acquired.
* Manipur capital Imphal to be soon connected to railway network.
* Centre for excellence in software to be set up at Darjeeling.
* Fund to be created for socially desirable projects.
* Central Organistaion for Project Implemtaiton created; will create accountability for nonperformance.
* 20 additional hostels for children of railway employees to be set up.
* Work on upgrading 442 stations to be completed by March 31.
* Decision to start pilot projects to give shelter to homeless people living along the tracks in Mumbai.
* Multi-purpose smart card to be introduced for all-India travel.* Airport-like trolleys to be provided at more stations.
* 56 new Express Trains, 3 new Shatabdis and 9 Duronto trains to be introduced.
* Upgraded class of air conditioned travel to be introduced shortly.
* To adopt modern technology through centres of academic excellence.
* 2011-12 declared ‘Year of Green Energy’ for Railways.
* Age for senior citizen's concession reduced to 58 from 60.
* Concession for physically handicapped and gallantry award winners for travel in Rajdhani and Shatabdi expresses.
* 50 percent concession for mediapersons with families to be increased from once to twice a year.
* AC Double Decker services on Jaipur-Delhi and Ahmedabad-Mumbai routes.
* New Super AC Class to be introduced.