CHILD CARE LEAVE : DOPT and FINMIN ORDERS
Introduction of child care leave in respect of Central Government employees as per recommeded in the sixth Central Pay Commission, women employees having minor children may be granted CCL by an authority competent to grant leave for a maximum period of 730 days during their enitre service for taking care of up to two children, whether for rearing or to look after any of their needs like examination, scikness etc. Hence Earned Leave availed specifically for this purpose only should be converted. Child Care Leave shall not be admissible if the child is eighteen years of age or older.
On recommendations of sixth pay commission, the CCL was announced to help women employees to take better care of their children and family. But the privilege backfired to several central government departments being like a hill with applications from women employees for CCL. After consideration of all the views, Dopt declared, 'CCL can be availed only if the employee concerned has no Earned Leave in her account. Those who have already taken the CCL will either have to return to office or part with their accumulated with Earned Leave'.
In further, Dopt orders said that "CCL cannot be demanded as a matter of right. Under no circumstances can any employee proceed on CCL without prior proper approval of the leave by the leave sanctioning authority. The leave is to be treated like the Earned Leave and sanctioned as such. Consequently, Saturdays, Sundays, Gazetted holidays etc. falling during the period of leave would also count for CCL, as in the case of Earned Leave. CCL can be availed only if the employee concerned has no Earned Leave at her credit.
and also instrcuted as "CCL may not be granted in more than 3 spells in a calendar year. CCL may not be granted for less than 15 days. CCL should not ordinarily be granted during the probation period except in case of certain extreme situations where the leave sanctioning authority is fully satisfied about the need of Child Care Leave to the probationer. It may also be ensured that the period for which this leave is sanctioned during probation is minimal.
We have compiled some important orders published by Dopt and Finance Ministry regarding the above subject and given below for your ready reference...
2. Extension of orders for grant of Child Care Leave to all Civilian Female Industrial Employees of the Central Government
3. Grant of Child Care Leave to State Government employees
4. Grant of Child Care Leave to Civilian Female Industrial Employees of Defence Establishments
5. CCS (Leave) (Fourth Amendment) Rules, 2011.
6. Sanction of Child Care Leave: Instructions regarding
7. Acceptance of Recommendation of the Sixth Central Pay Commission relating to introduction of Child Care Leave
8. Child Care Leave to Central Government employees - Clarification regarding
9. Child Care Leave in respect of female railway employees as a result of SCPC recommendations - Clarification regarding
10. Child Care Leave for Central Government employees - Clarification
11. Child Care Leave in respect of Central Government employees as a result of Sixth Central Pay Commission clarilication regarding
12. Child Care Leave in respect of Central Government employees as a result of Sixth Central Pay Commission recommendations — Clarification
13. Clarification: Child Care Leave (CCL)